Saturday, September 15, 2007

I got to be a princess for 5 minutes today...

This afternoon while I was getting ready for my very first church service at San Clemente (which, was awesome by the way) I had to go out to my car and grab my make-up. I was in my pajamas and I was jogging out to my car. For some reason I don't feel awkward at all going to the store in my pajamas, but if my neighbors see me in them... it always makes me feel uncomfortable.

Anyways...

I was jogging out to my car to grab my make up, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a little huddle of little boys dressed up. Their ages ranged probably from about 3 to 6, and they were easily the cutest little guys I have ever seen. One little guy was wearing a batman mask, one a super man cape, and the other a little denim hat. All of the boys were wearing rain boots (my favorite part of their ensemble). And, there were also some wooden swards, a pool noodle, and a big water gun involved. They were standing huddled around a tree and the littlest boy in the denim hat was standing up against it pretending like his arms were tied around it. He looked reluctant like he didn't want to be the bad guy. I think that he was probably just playing along so that the other boys would let him play with them.

I couldn't help myself, I had to go play with them for five minutes. So I walked up and we had this conversation:

Me: Hi... you guys aren't looking for bad guys... are you?
Batman with sword: Yes... have you seen some?
Superman with pool noodle: No no, we found him, he's there! (pointing to the boy "tied" to the tree)
Me: Well are you sure that he's the bad guy? You wouldn't want to kill the wrong person...
Batman: Oh, yeah... you're right...
Me: Well... I just saw some pirates run around the corner.
Little Guy against tree with a water gun bigger than he was: YOU DID!?
Me: Yeah, and I know they are bad guys. You should probably go get them...
Superman: OK! Guys, lets go! Come with us! Show us where the pirates are...
Me: OK, but you have to walk really quiet and be sneaky. Pirates have really good ears and they can hear people trying to sneak up on them.
Batman: OK. we'll whisper. We're just going to follow you
Me: Alright... see that car? The blue one? (I pointed to a truck that was parked close to us). The pirates are hiding behind that truck, I think they heard us coming...
Superman: Oh no... I need my sword!
Me: Now, I'm the princess because I'm the only girl. So you have to protect me from the bad guys.

The littlest guy of the bunch, walking right in front of me was ADORABLE. He turned around, gave me the biggest smile ever, and says "YEAH OK! I'll protect you!"

My heart melted a little.

After they fought off the bad guys (which was only about 2 seconds later after yelling "ATTACK!", and then sword fighting with each other) I told them that the princess had to go back to her castle. They said OK, so I went back to my house and finished getting ready.

Dang they were cute.

6 comments:

Heather Leith said...

oh my goodness, i love cute little boys.

THESE ONES SOUND ADORABLE!

E.Money said...

cuuute!

kayla rae said...

Oh, SO cute, I want to play this game!

Allison said...

Wow...I'm torn between thinking this is SUCH a cute story and thinking that this would also be a very easy group of kids to "nap" because they were so easy to convince to head toward a truck.

Good for you for playing with kids...they sound super darling!

Shawn said...

that could be the greatest thing that has ever happened involving kids and their superhero tendencies.

elise! said...

SO cute!